Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Shameless brag post... Quilts!

I have always been into crafts of all sorts, but lately I think I have fine tuned my interests to sewing - quilting more specifically. I made a couple for Kevin in the past - one in high school and then one in college (the first one was a little small for him... when you're 5'4" you don't realize these things!)... anyway, I have picked it up again and started venturing out a little. I started simple and am working my way into more complicated patterns. Here are some I have made over the past few months....

Some Super Sized Nine Patch baby quilts for our church's bazaar in two weeks (there are 5 there... they kind of blend together don't they?)


Morgan's quilt... gave me something to do when I was on partial "bed rest" towards the end. One of Kevin's coworkers has her own embroidery/personalized gift business and put her name on it for us.


Joah's quilt - a Crazy Quilt for a crazy boy! It's somewhat of an ISpy quilt too... there are fish, turtles, butterflies, animals, John Deere tractors (yes, he knows the colors/logo!), colors, shapes, etc.


The one I am currently working on. It was originally going to be for the couch/living room, but my current comforter is from when I was little and has seen better days. It has been recovered a few times and lately I have noticed that the inside is coming apart in chunks so I think it is beyond repair (it'll be a sad day when I have to "retire" it). This is my first quilted quilt - all the others have been tie quilts. It was a doozy to start out with, too! It's nice and bulky and heavy - not the easiest thing to get through the machine. Once I get the binding stitched down it'll be done! Yay! Hopefully I can get started on that tonight once I learn how to do it :P We have a small quilt shop in town and the owners started a quilting group that gets together on Tuesday nights...


Aside from the first set of baby quilts for the Bazaar, all of the others have been made with fabric I already had! I am a frequent customer to the scrap/remnant bins so I rarely pay full price for it.


Oh, and a couple pics of my little gymnast. The first one is a successful attempt at a flip over the "bars"... the second one, well, not so much :P


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is turning out great! It looks really good with the red fabric, I like it :). ~Jennica

Sarah Pequignot said...

I love your quilts- you are very talented - and I'm guessing (because I have no idea about quilting), you are very patient!! I love your work, and I can't wait to see it become more amazing:)
I love Joah's gymnastics. I am overwhelmed by his abundance of energy even just looking at the pictures!
Miss you!

Unknown said...

Hey Renee - sorry I can't comment about your quilts didn't really take time to read - my bad - I am trying to get up with you and Kevin and I'm not sure I have correct e-mail or phone #'s - I am coming to Asheboro this weekend for Matt Jones' wedding - was hoping to maybe stop in and see you all!!!

Drop me a line @ neal.alligood@gmail.com

Hope it works out - sorry for late notice!

Anita Grossman Solomon said...

I loved the variety in your Super-Sized Nine Patch quilts. You go girl!
Anita Solomon