Sunday, April 11, 2010

Life can change in an instant...

This was the scene outside of our house Saturday night at around 10:30...


We had just shut off the lights and were excited that the alarm was set for 8, both kids were asleep, and it was before 11 - all the makings for a good nights sleep. Within just a few seconds our peaceful night was interrupted. I heard a squeal, pause, squeal (at this point hoping and praying it was just someone messing around), then came a loud POP!, a whooshing type sound, and finally impact followed by a thumping noise that kept getting closer and closer. My heart is racing by this point and I just keep praying that the car stops before it hits the house (I knew exactly what it was as soon as the initial POP was heard). I told Kevin to get up, that someone had just wrecked in our yard. If you have ever been to our house you would understand the shock that came when we realized where the car sat - a mere 30-40 feet from Morgan's crib. I always assumed we were pretty protected by a combination of field, trees, and embankments. Boy was I wrong (although, the tree is what likely saved our daughter's life). Kevin was the first one outside (I was on the phone with 911 since I knew I had heard it flip... of course I forgot the most basic rule when calling 911 - at least be armed with the most basic info. Duh!)... when he came around the corner he saw his mom standing in our driveway!! Evidently she was going to her parents house to check on things (they were out of town) and as she passed our driveway a car came towards her starting to swerve. The driver said she was adjusting her radio and my mother in law's lights startled her. She went off of the right side of the road (completely, all 4 tires - hence the pause in the squealing), over corrected, came into the field hitting the metal property marker we just put up when we surveyed for the new house this week (the POP!), slid through the field (the whooshing sound), hit the ditch which flung her into the tree then either spun around or came end over end to rest in our drive way.

After all that, she walked away with a broken collar bone and a bunch of bruising. When we first got outside all we saw was an empty car seat. Come to find out any other day her daughter would have been with her, but she left her at her parents house that night. The tree hit right over where her head would have been.

It's late, and after a not so good night's sleep last night (it took me until almost 2 AM to fall back asleep) I'm tired so I'll just describe a couple of the pics I took today...



She hit the tree on the left and came through the gap to the right.


These are the skid marks coming through the field... at first I thought she was sideways the whole time, but it looks like she was coming head on then tried turning to avoid the house (she said she kept praying she wouldn't hit it). The tree she hit is perfectly in line with Morgan's window... I shudder to think what could have happened if it hadn't taken the hit for our home.


You can see where her car ended up after it was all said an done. Those two corner windows on the house are Morgan's room. Surprisingly through all the lights, sirens, yelling (the girl was really worked up and well into shock - for good reason), etc. - neither kid woke up...


I could kiss that tree.

It just serves as a reminder that life is fragile and can be taken away in an instant. She was fortunate to have walked away, and we are blessed to still have our home and family in tact. Kiss your loved ones and tell them you love them every chance you get - you never know when it might be the last. My mother in law and sister in law were just 1/4-1/2 mile from home and almost a part of this accident... it can happen anytime, anywhere.

Oh, and this right here is one of the top reasons why were are building our house further off of the road (and also to keep the kiddos safe). You better believe we will be planting some trees!

Excuse any typos, I'm ready for bed!

1 comment:

Sarah Pequignot said...

I will say an extra prayer of thanks tonight. So happy to know that there were no really serious injuries. Love to you all.