I was planning on coming to post about our first day of school, but had no idea how long it had been. Slow country internet makes it frustrating to try and upload pics which has been a bit of the hindrance on getting things posted.
I guess going back to Dan's broken leg - thankfully all healed well. It took a couple weeks longer than planned and was a bit chaotic towards the end. When we went to get his first cast of the regular nurse was out with a sick child and the one that ran the saw traumatized him... enough so that the next visit when he had to have his other cast off (because said nurse didn't put it on correctly) he flipped out. The nurse looked at me with a look of horror on her face and asked "What did she do to him??" Exactly. Little booger didn't let the cast slow him down though! By the time the full leg one was off he had worn a good chunk of the bottom off! In total he had 3 casts and 2 splints (since they don't make boots small enough for him and the didn't want to have to put him back in a cast as bad as removing them was so we came up with a second splint for him to wear as he figured out how to walk again). It took him a couple months to really get things back to normal, and even now he wakes up crying occasionally, holding that part of his leg. Not sure what's going on, or if it's just growing pains localized to that area.
The kids finished up their year of dance with their recital last month... and as soon as we got in the car they were asking when camp was, when the next year started. They are hooked! We did miss camp thanks to a stomach bug in the house, thankfully they were pretty well unaware of that detail. Just got them signed up for next year, and unfortunately it's going to be even more chaotic than last. *sigh* We'll figure it out I guess. Joah is going to the next level of clogging, Lillian is starting at the beginner level of clogging, Daniel is doing acro (my little monkey!), and Morgan will actually be doing competition ballet and modern. Thankfully not only is the studio much more modest than most (in both costume and music selection) but they also don't run the kids ragged. There will only be 3 extra preerformances in the spring, and then one weekend in November of intensives. She's excited, and I think she will enjoy a little extra attention, just for her. She gets the short end of the stick in so many ways (and is so gracious about it) I really want her to have something that's just hers.
We also just started school back this week! We all have a very low heat tolerance (well, most of us... me especially :P ) so we're hibernating (or whatever the summer word equivalent would be) indoors as it is... might as well get a jump start! I have high hopes that by starting now we can be done, or at least close to it, by Easter... then we can enjoy the b-e-a-utiful weather that spring should bring before we're driven back inside. Usually by Easter we are "done" anyway, but keep on plugging to finish up. It's just no fun for any of us though :P
Joah did take his second round of testing and looks like what we're going is still working OK, so big sigh of relief there! I thought he had lost some skills in math b/c we tried a different curriculum this past year, but even though I wasn't thrilled with how it went as a whole, it still was plenty enough for him.
The end result of his cast... and yes, that's camo duct tape :P Within a couple days he had had worn a hole in the heel... they said we could come back in for another layer, but an hour there, wait time, and an hour back? No thank you! Duct tape worked well enough ;)
I can't find the pics I took of the kids right before recital, but here are some not-so-great pics of the studio pics:
First Day of School!
Special breakfast was made for the first day - baked french toast! Yum! I was hoping for some leftovers, but there weren't any...
First day tradition is to color a page with their new grade and take a group pic... Joah started 4th, Morgan 2nd, Lillian Kindergarten, and Daniel is Pre-K. Joah isn't thrilled, that's totally a fake smile. The first pic I took he looked like he was in pain.
Just some fun "action" shots of some of what they are doing (with rotated pics, sorry!):
A little "Home-Ec" this morning, Lillian made us all oatmeal for breakfast... all by herself!
Morgan fished her first tournament with Kevin :) It was a Fisher's of Men Legacy Tournament, one adult, one youth. Joah fished with a gentleman named Doyle Hodgins which was a great experience for him (and HUGE step for mommy seeing him head out with someone other than Kevin).
Morgan and Kevin came in 2nd place... she caught a 4 pounder! She was so excited!! She did take a notebook for those times when she wanted to take a break. She loves to sit and write or draw.

Oh! and I am so excited that I finally have a garden that's producing something other than weeds this year! I think the pie pumpkins are what I am most excited about b/c I saved seeds from one last year to plant this year so a) my seed saving was a success and b) the plants is HUGE and is producing a number of larger-than-a-basketball pumpkins! I even have a few watermelons growing, but the ends of some aren't looking good so I don't have high hopes for them. Japanese beetles have done a number on a lot of our yard - I have a peach tree with peaches, but no leaves :( They ate every single one of them! And Farmer Dan is so proud of his pumpkin plant. He has worked hard weeding and watering all spring and summer (although he did get a bit over zealous and took some plants out in the process. He's good to pull first, ask second). He is a hard worker, indeed! Loves his tractors and yard work! He even got kid sized yard tools and a wheelbarrow for his birthday and was stoked.
I can't get the pics to cooperate when moving them around so I will just label them in order:
1. Dan's Pumpkin vine - this was taken a couple weeks ago, it's much bigger now! We had to move the trailer :P
2. Itty bitty spinning top gourd... these are fun, and they are too cute!
3. First harvest were radishes! They were a bit hot for my tastes, but the rabbits sure did enjoy them!
4. My main garden... peas, radishes, desi squash, zucchini, okra, tomatoes, peppers, kale, chard, lettuce, watermelon, pumpkins, variety of gourds...
5. My first, and what I thought was my only pumpkin. Those suckers are good at hiding! Ha! I think I have at least 4 that are basketball size or bigger. The one pictured is starting to turn orange - yay!

No comments:
Post a Comment